Sunday, October 4, 2026

General Conference Weekend

General Conference Weekend

October 3-4, 2026

Saturday morning, I ran to Walmart and Sam’s to pick up some conference snacks and came home just before the first session started. Brian and I watched together, and the talks were wonderful, of course. One theme that stood out to me from the morning session (11-1 pm) was, "hard things are going to happen in this life, and it can still be beautiful."  

It was nice just being home with Brian most of the day, working on our different projects and fitting errands in around conference. I had planned to work on outside windows, but it was raining, so those plans quickly changed. I baked chocolate chip cookies (almost forgot the butter-eek-added that in last) and did some light house work. 

After the second session (3-5 pm), Brian watched the BYU game, and I went for a walk and then watched some of the game while playing Settlers (Cities and Knights) on the computer. I aslo re-listened to some of Emma M. Lion #6 while putting away clothes and cleaning out my closet. Nothing too exciting, but it was one of those nice Saturdays at home.

Sunday morning I was up early (6:30). I read my scriptures, worked out, showered, got dressed, blow dried my hair AND did my makeup—all by 9:00. I was feeling very productive.

Brian and I went over to visit my parents and take my mom a birthday gift, and then we came home to get ready for the morning session of conference. I made a veggie tray and a cheese and cracker tray and threw some frozen cinnamon rolls in the oven. Then I realized that I was just assuming Tanner and family would be coming over to watch conference with us.  (I had way too much food for me and Brian.) Luckily, they threw us a bone and joined us.

We took turns playing with Kaide during some of the talks—quiet games like Candy Land, Memory and Jenga...with a little ball mixed in here and there. :)

Afterward, I went back over to my parents' house to give my dad a break for an hour. Brit, Kerry and I each try to do that on Sundays since he doesn't have a caregiver that day. When I was there, Chris and Ang FaceTimed to wish my mom a happy birthday. It was fun visiting with them for a few minutes.

Brian squeezed in a quick nap and then it was time for our “Superest Super Bowl” conference gathering at Brit's house. 

We had a huge spread of delicious food—smoked chicken, grilled sausage, jalapeƱo popper dip and guac, green salad, beans, sourdough bread with a fancy spread, a veggie tray, cheese and crackers, chocolate chip cookies and, believe it or not, even more! (We all chip in by bringing a couple of dishes, but the Birds go all out!)

By this point in conference weekend, I'm often starting to feel a little like a caged lion. And things can get a little busier with all the nieces, nephews, great-nieces, great-nephews and Kaide in the mix.

But it was actually relatively calm. Some of the kids went outside to play, and a few were in the playroom playing instruments. First it was the piano, then the handbells. Britney went in to redirect their attention, but not long after that, someone found a recorder...and then two toy drums. You can't make this stuff up! When the kids eventually left the room, I quietly went in and stashed the drums in Ella's room. Whew.

Overall, though, it was very doable, and we were able to hear what was being shared during conference. Several of the girls were working on puzzles, but I decided to put conference on my phone and go for a 30 minute walk. Miraculously, it was only 77 degrees with beautiful blue skies. It made my heart happy to be outside. (Eight hours of sitting over the weekend is a lot....but worth it.)

I love General Conference. I always come away inspired to be better—to serve others more, to be more Christlike, and to remember the joy that comes from living and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. I also love discussing the messages with my family and then studying the talks afterward so I can better remember and retain the things that were taught.

President Oaks was the final speaker, and I loved the way he summed up the conference. He encouraged us to concentrate our worship, focus our learning, and unite our testimonies on the teachings of Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father's plan.

He also reminded us of the Lord's promise in 2 Nephi 28:30:

“For unto him that receiveth I will give more.”

That was a good promise to be reminded of.

All in all, it was a very nice weekend—time at home and with family and especially time to soak in the messages of General Conference.


A few more pictures from the weekend:

Don and Cathy Bonifay were wishing my mom a happy birthday as well when we stopped by my parent's house.
Hud and Charlotte were playing Coyotes with Gracie. (A made up game with their hands as the Coyotes. Gracie has this tiny, high little voice and said "coyotes" so cute...we were all a little mesmerized with their game.)
Christian has been having some foot problems and is on crutches. Sometimes he just hops around on one leg. It's seriously impressive. Also, he was hoola hooping like crazy in the shop. Zoom in on his face...you just can't keep a good man down!
A different angle of some of the group working on puzzles.
Lincoln and Ella
My parents came to the Birds for about 45 minutes. My mom loves her son in laws. She is very tender with Adam, Brian and Brian M., and they are sweet with her.

Char put a clip in Gracie's hair to make it look silly.
Hud was doing wheelies effortlessly, but everytime I pulled out my phone, he stopped. Turkey boy.
My friend from college, John Kirkman, made these "tweet" pages from the talks today. He compiled tweets on X.com and made it into a document. He is a full time seminary teacher and shared them on a seminary FB page. They are a little blurry on here, but I think worth including to get a little glimpse from the talks given.

No comments: